Tests your GP might do

If you have any of the three key symptoms, bleeding from the bottom - blood in the poo, a change in your bowel habits or discomfort or pain in your tummy your GP will probably do one or all of the following:

Examine your abdomen To see if you have any lumps that need further tests in hospital.

A digital examination of your back passage Called a PR or per rectal examination to see if you have any abnormal lumps that require further tests in hospital.

A simple blood test To check whether you are anaemic. 

You shouldn't let this put you off seeing your doctor as these won't hurt you and will only be necessary in some cases, particularly in older patients. You may not need all of these tests straight away especially in younger patients.  However if your symptoms don't clear up completely or keep coming back, you could ask your GP whether they should be done particularly if you are over 50 years of age.

Tip Title